I’m feeling the effects of breastfeeding. I finally can say that I get absolutely RAVENOUS on some days. Pregnancy hunger is nothing compared to breastfeeding hunger. Mommies-to-be, get ready. That being said, I have been trying to eat lots of nutrient-rich foods so that Adeline gets the benefits through my milk. I would love to just eat ice cream and chocolate all day (and on some days, I do) but I want to continue to try to eat a wide variety of healthy foods to benefit myself and Adeline.
This salad is FANTASTIC. It doesn’t take much time to put together, and there are tons of textures and colors in the salad that keep you coming back for another bite (or twenty). And eat up, the salad packs a nutritional punch too!
Packs a Punch Kale Salad
A delicious raw, vegan and gluten free salad that combines robust kale with a pop of cranberry and carrot for sweetness. The chickpeas and edamame boost the protein in this hearty dish. Serves 4-6.
- 1/2 bag Kale or 1 head of Kale [chopped, washed, about 5c.]
- 2-3 Carrots [cut into matchsticks]
- 1 Granny Smith Apple [diced]
- 1 can Chickpeas [rinsed and drained]
- 1c. frozen, shelled Edamame
- 1/3c. Dried Cranberries
- 2TB Olive Oil
- 4TB Vinegar or Lemon Juice [I like 2TB Balsamic Vinegar and 2TB Red Wine Vinegar]
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Pour hot water onto the cranberries to re-hydrate. Drain before using.
- Prep veggies and beans [cut Carrot into matchsticks, dice the Granny Smith Apple, drain and rinse Chickpeas]. No need to thaw the edamame.
- Combine Olive Oil, Vinegar, Italian Seasoning and Salt in a bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Pour dressing over kale in a large bowl. Massage dressing into kale for 5-10 minutes, or until kale starts to wilt and dressing is thoroughly distributed.
- Add Carrot, Apple, Chickpeas, Edamame and Cranberries, toss to combine.
- Refrigerate at least an hour to let flavors develop. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
Calories per serving (based on 6 servings): 229 calories, 3g carbs, 7g fat, 10g protein, 8g fiber
Trust me, it’s a delicious salad! And, on days where all I manage to eat is ice cream and chocolate- at least I feel like I snuck in a little bit of good nutrition with a few bites of this side!